Good evening! Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl. I’ve seen a few of these posts today, and the topic sounded like such fun to think about! This week’s topic is:
Things That Make Me Pick Up A Book
- Author. Odds are, if I’ve read a book by the author before and loved it, I won’t hesitate to pick up another of their books.
- Illustrator. As above, if I love the illustrations, I’m likely to pick it up knowing less about it! For example, if I see a cover by Karl James Mountford or David Litchfield, chances are I’ll buy it.
- Recommended by a favourite author on the cover. I’m putting a lot of trust in their judgement!
- “For fans of Harry Potter”…need I say more?
- Mental Health. Give me a book on mental health and I’m so much more inclined to read it. I personally choose books that relate to the mental health difficulties I’ve dealt with, so I’m spoilt for choice.
- Middle Grade Murder Mystery. Robin Stevens is the Queen, but if a book is along those lines I’ll probably love it!
- Boarding schools are one of my weaknesses; since being an obsessive Enid Blyton reader when I was younger, I’ll always give a school book a go!
- “Scandalous” teen books with topics such as teen pregnancy and teacher crushes…in my experience some of the best teen books!
- Beautiful hardbacks under the dustjacket…SO PRETTY!
- Publisher. There are just some publishers who usually put out books that I love without fail.
What do you think? Would any of these things make you pick up a book?